Author• Healer • Warrior
Hello, I’m Amanda and I wasn’t always confident or happy with who I was. I carried around a tremendous amount of shame around for years about who I thought I was and the choices I had made in the past. I thought they made me dirty, broken and unlovable. My negative self talk and low self esteem caused me to disown pieces of myself by hiding who I was and trying to be someone else, someone I thought was “acceptable.” I was scared that if I shared who I really was, I would be rejected. My fears controlled me and everything I did and most of the time, I wasn’t even aware it was happening.
My journey through my darkness of shame and self-rejection lead me to create Beautiful Knockout, a place where women can find the power in who they already are and write my first book, You’re Brave Enough: 8 Daily Practices to Be Your Own HERO. If I have learned anything in life, it is that the only person who can save you is you. Looking for someone to come save me put me in some danger places and is where I almost lost the essence of who I was.
When I stopped looking for someone else to save me and started to explore my darkness around my path with drug use,I started to experience huge shifts. I had to let go of the beliefs that I was “bad, dirty and broken” and embrace myself as a women who was trying to be loved and accepted. I had to accept my imperfections and uniqueness so I could stand tall,
speak my truth, release what was holding me back and own my power.
Along my journey I discovered the importance of balancing your warrior spirit, with your healer’s heart. I hold a black belt in Kempo, the form of martial arts I discovered along my journey to becoming more confident in who I was and am. I became a Reiki Master when I realized the power of universal energy in healing our spirit.
I believe we can be both a badass and compassionate. I believe there’s an incredible about of untapped power in embracing not only our darkness but also our femininity. And the one thing I believe above all else is the potential for change by individuals who wake up one day asking… “Who am I and how the fuck did I get here?”
Remember you always have a choice, you are powerful and you just have to be brave enough to take a small step forward.
Facts about Beautiful Knockout Founder & CEO, Amanda JP Brown:
- I dropped out of high school at the age of 16 and was told I'd be better off getting my GED.
- I spent a few of my teenage years addicted to meth. I woke up one day and decided I didn’t want to live that life anymore so I quit.
- At 19 I returned to a charter high school at a community college and learned to work systems (they paid for all my college classes/books and gave me high school credit too) I stayed as long as I could and was their most expensive student lol
- I was asked to deliver the Senior Address at my high school graduation and still have the note cards I wrote it on.
- I was awarded a scholarship to finish my Associates Degree at the community college and graduated the following semester.
- I started training in Chinese Kempo when I was 21 and received my Black Belt in 2015.
- I went to ASU and graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Psychology and took some Political Sciences classes and even thought about minoring in mathematics (yes really).
- I chose to take extra Statistic Classes so I didn’t have to take a computer class.
- I wanted to a be a Forensic Psychologist, so I decided to apply to the Masters of Criminal Justice Program at ASU to diversify myself and look more appealing to a doctorate program.
- I married and divorced a Marine.
- In my criminal justice program, I studied the impact of female incarceration and the reasons why women become involved in crime. My passions started to shift.
- I applied to the Masters of Social Work generalist program and was accepted. There, I studied the impact of parental incarceration on children, families and the community.
- In 2007 I graduated with TWO Masters Degrees, one in Criminal Justice and the other in Social Work.
- 2007 was also the year I met the love of my life and now husband Kirk. (We got married in 2013 , he proposed with a hose clamp in a port-a-potty at a car show. Yes we started in the shitter).
- I’ve worked for attorneys, psychologists and medical doctors. And even interned for a Senator.
- I’ve worked with all kinds of families as a trained Infant and Toddler Mental Health Therapist with a specialization in early childhood trauma and trauma in general.
- My husband and I have an adopted son, four dogs and live on a ranch.
- I held onto a lot of shame and guilt about the past choices I had made as a teenager and allowed them to impact the choices I made. However, I wouldn’t change a thing.
- In 2017 I authored a book “You’re Brave Enough: 8 Daily Practices to Be Your Own HERO” In it, I share my story and the steps I took to become my own HERO. I even self published, designed the cover and formatted the pages. (Thank goodness for google and the drive to do a little research).
- Today I am an Author, Speaker and Coach, guiding women who want to walk through their darkness and shame and step into their power by reclaiming all the disowned pieces of themselves.
- I believe that EVERYONE has the CAPACITY for CHANGE!!